Did you know that Metalwerx Members can receive 5% - 10% off classes? Learn More
- August 13 - 16, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (4 days)
Learn how to integrate stone and metal as a whole, rather than as separate objects. Demonstrations include how to shape rough stones, drill through them, make perfect bezels for unique shapes, set stones on top of stones, add decorative rivets, and more.
- August 15 - 29, 2022, Weekly on Monday from 10:00am – 12:00pm (3 days)
- August 15 - 22, 2022, Weekly on Monday from 10:00am – 12:00pm (2 days)
- August 16 - 18, 2022, Tuesday and Thursday from 6:00pm – 8:00pm (2 days)
This virtual class will focus on fabricating a negatively pierced and layered earring component which can then be transformed into numerous earring formats from stud or post earrings to various types of hoops and dangles. Best practices for hand-finishing will also be discussed.
- August 18 - 20, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (3 days)
This three-day workshop will incorporate Michael's technique for fusing gold patterns onto Argentium silver and torch setting stones.
- August 18, 2022 - September 1, 2022, Weekly from 6:00pm – 8:00pm (3 days)
- August 24 - 28, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (5 days)
This class is specially designed for makers who want to take a mixed media approach in their making process and will emphasize working with Argentium silver and polymer clay. Through the making of veneers that employ a variety of approaches for pattern making, students will combine the rich colors of polymer with fused-formed and soldered silver to create jewelry pieces that twist, pivot, swing, drape, or otherwise move. Address the puzzle of combining unlike materials and incorporate color with technical fabrication into your design!
- August 27 - 28, 2022, Daily from 1:00pm – 3:00pm (2 days)
- September 6 - 13, 2022, Weekly on Tuesday from 10:00am – 12:00pm (2 days)
- September 6 - 9, 2022, Daily from 1:00pm – 3:00pm (4 days)
In this live, virtual workshop, students will learn the basics of working with mild perforated steel sheet and wire in a range of patterns, how to fuse high karat gold and other metals to steel, how to finish the edges of perforated steel, and how to seal their jewelry pieces.
- September 6 - 8, 2022, Tuesday and Thursday from 4:00pm – 6:00pm (2 days)
Links are a way to provide points of connections in the construction of your jewelry. Most commonly, they are used as connection points in a necklace, but they can just as easily be used in earring, bracelets, and even brooches. This demo-focused virtual workshop will illustrate how to create links of various shapes using multiple gauges of wire and then how to incorporate them with polymer clay.
- September 7 - 21, 2022, Weekly on Wednesday from 10:00am – 12:00pm (3 days)
- September 9 - 16, 2022, Weekly on Friday from 10:00am – 12:00pm (2 days)
Learn how to increase light reflection or to add another layer of intricacy to your designs using the Basse-taille enameling process which offers exciting possibilities that can add dimension and complexity to enamel pieces through engraving, roller printed hand-made and laser cut textures, and etching techniques. Finishing techniques will additionally be covered.
- September 9 - 23, 2022, Weekly on Friday from 10:00am – 12:00pm (3 days)
Fall in love with hinges as Jenn Wells guides you through your hinge-making journey! This demo-focused virtual class will cover three ways to create a hinge both directly into a jewelry piece, as well as one you can attached at after the fact. Focus will be placed on multiple soldering setups, creating proper range of motion, and sort of situation suits each hinge best.
- September 10, 2022, Saturday from 10:00am – 5:00pm
This 1-day workshop shows students of any skill level how to make a series of silver, stackable rings. Gain basic soldering, stone setting, texturing, and stamping knowledge and enhance each band for a one-of-a-kind look.
- September 11, 2022, Sunday from 10:00am – 5:00pm
Put your soldering struggles behind you with a set of troubleshooting tips and tricks geared at helping you take charge of your torch and torch setup. Learn numerous ways to implement new torch skills and even how to properly manage your own soldering torch and tank, in this one-day workshop which covers basic to advanced soldering fundamentals.
- September 12 - 26, 2022, Weekly on Monday from 1:00pm – 3:00pm (3 days)
This intensive three-session virtual workshop explores the traditions of Keum-boo with a variety of techniques and variants to create jewelry in an economical way. Students will learn about the properties of gold and silver foils, how to create their own foils, and multiple application methods in combination with embossing, stamping, roller printing, soldering, and many more tips and tricks!
- September 12 - 19, 2022, Weekly on Monday from 6:00pm – 8:00pm (2 days)
- September 13 - 20, 2022, Weekly on Tuesday from 1:00pm – 3:00pm (2 days)
- September 15 - 29, 2022, Weekly on Thursday from 10:00am – 12:00pm (3 days)
This demo-focused virtual workshop will show you how to control warpage of sheet metal, refine your torch work, and perfect your filing, fitting, and finishing proficiencies in the construction of rectangular or cylindrical box form - and all without the use of binding wire!
- September 16 - 18, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (3 days)
Jayne Redman is known for her unusual way of working with metal in three dimensions, often using multiples of the same shape to convey a single idea. This workshop will teach you how to develop tools for the engineering concepts that she works with in her jewelry, specifically for replicating elements of the same type.
- September 19, 2022 - November 28, 2022, Weekly on Monday from 10:00am – 1:00pm (10 days)
Pursue individual projects with questions answered by a professional jeweler. Finish up work hiding in your bench and get advice on new pieces. This class is loaded with great bench tips to guide students through projects with success.
- September 20 - 22, 2022, Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00am – 12:00pm (2 days)
- September 20, 2022 - November 29, 2022, Weekly on Tuesday from 10:00am – 1:00pm (10 days)
- September 20, 2022 - December 6, 2022, Weekly on Tuesday from 6:30pm – 9:00pm (10 days)
This introductory course focuses on developing fundamental hand skills, good studio habits, and an appreciation for quality craftsmanship. Students will learn essential fabrication techniques by designing and producing unique, handcrafted jewelry.
- September 21, 2022 - December 7, 2022, Weekly on Wednesday from 10:00am – 1:00pm (10 days)
The primary goal of this class is to provide students with a grounded understanding in jewelry and metalsmtihing studio practices and the foundational hand skills necessary for working successfully with non-ferrous metals. Skill sets will include sawing, filing, texturing, soldering and other heat treatment of metals, basic hammer-work, as well as bezel setting and finishing techniques.
- September 21, 2022 - November 30, 2022, Weekly on Wednesday from 1:30pm – 4:30pm (10 days)
- September 21, 2022 - November 30, 2022, Weekly on Wednesday from 6:00pm – 9:00pm (10 days)
The primary goal of this class is to provide students with the opportunity and guidance to elevate their foundations skills to new heights! This will be a fast-paced class focused on new complexities in fabricating with metal through the development of soldering proficiency, strong hand skills (sawing, drilling, filing), stone-setting techniques including bezel, tube, prong, and tab settings, finishing techniques, and patina treatments.
- September 23, 2022, Friday from 10:00am – 3:00pm
Study the classic art of pearl knotting from an expert in the pearl trade. This workshop will begin with an overview of pearl types and shapes, how to buy a good strand, spotting fakes, and proper care. Demonstrations on knotting and termination methods for a variety of closures will follow.
- September 24 - 25, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (2 days)
This condensed exploration of metalworking fundamentals is perfect for those who have always wanted to learn jewelry making but never had the time. Saw, anneal, solder, file, texture, create inlay, and more while creating one-of-a-kind jewelry!
- September 24 - 25, 2022, Daily from 1:00pm – 3:00pm (2 days)
GET FIRED UP! In this workshop students will learn how to effectively use a torch to fire enamels. Numerous aspects of enameling basics will be covered, including efficient and safe home/studio setups, metal typing and preparation, enamel variants and applications methods, as well as multiple sifting techniques and firing methods for creating dynamic designs
- September 29, 2022 - December 8, 2022, Weekly on Thursday from 10:00am – 1:00pm (10 days)
In this course, students will elaborate on basic techniques learned in Jewelry 1 and use them as a stepping stone to create more complicated pieces and designs. Topics covered will include intermediate to advanced soldering techniques, piercing and filing skills, creating settings for stones or other objects, fabricating hollow forms and/or boxes, scoring, and of course, finishing. The instructor will also demonstrate tricks and shortcuts she's learned over many years of experience in the field.
- September 29, 2022 - December 8, 2022, Weekly on Thursday from 10:00am – 1:00pm (10 days)
- September 29, 2022 - December 8, 2022, Weekly on Thursday from 6:00pm – 9:00pm (10 days)
Are you a jewelry lover ready to break into making your own shining jewels? This class will introduce the fundamental metalsmithing skills you need to let your creativity flow! Students will learn to saw and pierce, file, make cold connections such as rivets, basic soldering, and finishing techniques. Basic stone setting will also be introduced. We will focus on making samples as well as finished pieces such as pendants and rings.
- September 30, 2022 - October 2, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (3 days)
- October 1, 2022, Saturday from 10:00am – 1:00pm
- October 3 - 5, 2022, Monday and Wednesday from 11:00am – 1:00pm (2 days)
Explore ways of adding color, dimension, and texture to your work with stone layering techniques taught by a master in the field! Students will learn important tips for creating custom fit bezels, see steps for drilling holes into stones, and learn to create mountings with tube rivets and epoxy.
- October 5 - 19, 2022, Weekly on Wednesday from 1:00pm – 3:00pm (3 days)
Get a glimpse of jewelry history and learn how to put a contemporary spin on a variety of settings for rose cut gem stones and beyond!
- October 6 - 20, 2022, Weekly on Thursday from 10:00am – 12:00pm (3 days)
- October 7 - 14, 2022, Weekly on Friday from 4:00pm – 6:00pm (2 days)
- October 8, 2022, Saturday from 10:00am – 1:00pm
Students will learn how to construct the Byzantine chain maille weave and the Mobius unit by making 2-3 pairs of earrings during this workshop.
- October 14, 2022, Friday from 10:00am – 5:00pm
During this one-day course, participants will be turning a found beach treasure into a new and beautiful, wearable piece of jewelry. Students will learn how to cut, drill and carve into their glass or stone, while adding silver accents to make a pendant.
- October 14, 2022, Friday from 10:00am – 1:00pm
- October 15 - 16, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (2 days)
- October 17 - 21, 2022, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10:00am – 4:30pm (3 days)
In this live, online workshop, students will learn the process of microfolding. Otherwise known as corrugations, the wavy undulations created by this metal-manipulation method add strength to thin sheets of metal and make it possible to create large, yet light and sturdy, pieces of jewelry.
- October 18 - 25, 2022, Weekly on Tuesday from 6:00pm – 8:00pm (2 days)
Confused by the dizzying array of rotary burs, bits, and mandrels on the market? Ready to invest in a flexible shaft machine, but don’t know where to start? In this essential skill-builder, we will cover all the flexible shaft machine basics, from choosing the right motor, handpiece, and rheostat to maintenance and choosing the right bit for the job at hand.
- October 18, 2022 - November 1, 2022, Weekly on Tuesday from 6:00pm – 8:00pm (3 days)
- October 21 - 23, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (3 days)
- October 28, 2022, Friday from 10:00am – 1:00pm
- October 28, 2022, Friday from 10:00am – 5:00pm
- October 28, 2022, Friday from 2:00pm – 5:00pm
- October 29 - 30, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (2 days)
This two-day workshop aims to teach the fundamentals of jewelry making through a project driven curriculum, with the ultimate goal of building a foundational knowledge of all things metalsmithing, while working to create a ovular bezel-setting with a textured band. Students will learn fundamental fabrication techniques, hot connections, texturing methodologies, finishing, ring sizing, and bezel setting.
- November 4 - 6, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (3 days)
- November 7 - 21, 2022, Weekly on Monday from 6:00pm – 7:00pm (3 days)
- November 9, 2022, Wednesday from 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Learn a quick and easy way to make textured bangle bracelets! This course will focus on forming a stack of embellished bangles utilizing copper and sterling silver. Students will texture and forge their metal into different shapes and patterns using numerous metalsmithing hammers.
- November 15 - 22, 2022, Weekly on Tuesday from 6:00pm – 8:00pm (2 days)
In this live, virtual workshop, students will join master jeweler Kristin Mitsu Shiga to learn gypsy setting and easy tube setting for production. Students will create their own custom tools, cover alternative methods for holding pieces, and proper preparations and use of rubberized abrasives.
- November 18 - 20, 2022, Daily from 10:00am – 5:00pm (3 days)
- December 10, 2022, Saturday from 10:00am – 1:00pm
This fun and fast paced workshop will cover two techniques for creating silver earrings that are simple to make and striking to wear.
- December 12, 2022, Monday from 10:00am – 4:00pm
Pulse arc welding lessons open from July through December.
Micro pulse arc welding is widely known to be a useful tool to increase efficiency with basic bench tasks such as ring sizing, connections near heat-sensitive stones, and repairing porous castings. It works well on gold, silver, stainless steel, titanium, platinum, and copper, whether connecting tiny jewelry components or larger elements for small metal sculptures. Our pulse arc welder can go well beyond these general jobs to include tacking complex pieces before soldering, welding long seams for hollow construction, and connecting
- December 12, 2022, Monday from 10:00am – 4:00pm